Saturday, October 13, 2012

Ran My First 5K

Today I ran my first 5K, the Get Your Rear in Gear – Milwaukee for the Colon Cancer Coalition.  My father died from colon cancer almost 13 years ago, so it meant something to me to be able to participate and work toward a cure.  I’ve been training to run a 5K since the middle of August, or so, and I’ve definitely seen improvement.  This was my first real race.

This morning the weather was somewhat threatening.  The race started at 8:30, and when I was leaving the house at 7:00 it was pouring pretty good.  It looked like there might be a break in the rain at some point, and a little rain never hurt anyone.

My running partner met up with me, and as she got in the car I said, “Are we crazy?”  I was kidding of course, but it was a little nuts, considering the weather was kind of crummy, but onward!

There were fewer people at the race due to the weather, but still a fair number turned out, which was good because it wasn’t too crowded.  When we started we took off pretty well, but not too fast.  I haven’t been able to run straight through a 5K yet, so I did have to stop a couple times along the way, but not too much.  We finished the race in just under 41 minutes.  I have yet to see my official time.

It was a great accomplishment and supported a good cause.  Our next race is in about 3 weeks, the Jingle Bell Run, to support the arthritis foundation.  I’m looking forward to it and hoping to improve on my race time.

No comments:

Post a Comment