Sunday, November 4, 2012

Jingle Bell Run

Today I had the Jingle Bell Run at the zoo.  Overall the run was great.  I was a bit worried that my knee might not hold up, as I started having issues with it a couple weeks ago, but I wore my knee strap and I didn’t feel any pain throughout the run.  I think the toughest part of the run was the hill at the zoo that challenged most runners.  We had to do two laps, and the first time through I made it halfway up the hill before I stopped to walk, and the second time around I made it about a quarter of the way up.  I also ended up with pain in my side about halfway through the run, which happened at the last run too.  I’ve been reading up on it to see how I can prevent it and while I thought it was maybe lack of some sort of nutrient, it sounds like it has more to do with my fitness level and breathing technique.  I’m going to try some of the breathing techniques I found out there to see if it helps going forward.  One of the things I’ve seen repeatedly is to breath deeply and with a rhythm, such as every time you left foot hits the ground.  We’ll see if it works for me!

My next run is in December, the Santa Hustle, but I’m tempted to sign up for a race in between, the end of December is a long ways away.  I’ll have to see how the month goes and where my workouts take me.  Maybe the extra training time is needed to get me better prepared to get out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment